Appointments1992 Assistant Recorder
1999 Deputy High Court Judge (Family Division)
2000 Legal President Mental Health Review Tribunal
Bencher of Gray's Inn
Degrees and other qualificationsLL.B Hons 1975 Kings College London
Committee Member FLBA
Association of Lawyers for Children
Jane’s public law children practice includes cases involving complex physical injuries, including :
- “baby shaking”
- factitious illness
- sexual abuse and incest
- cases involving the death of children where both causation and likely perpetrator are in issue
Jane has a particular interest in cases involving the unexplained death of a child and is known for the ease with which she disentangles complicated medical issues. She was involved in some of the early cases in which the legitimacy of statistical evidence to be applied to SIDS was challenged.
She has experience in “honour based” killing/violence and forced marriage and has recently been involved in a lengthy case in which her client was also represented by a Special Advocate because of non disclosure of sensitive material.
She is recognised as having considerable skill in representing learning disabled or otherwise vulnerable parents and parents with mental health difficulties. She has appeared in the only family cases to date in which evidence has been given through intermediaries.
Her private law children work includes relocation, an area in which she has a particular interest.
Jane represented Rhondda Cynon Taf in the Clwych Enquiry convened by the Children’s Commissioner for Wales and subsequently undertook advisory work for the Commissioner.
- C (a child)  EWCA Civ. 2: Court of appeal ruling on pecuniary damages for loss of opportunity in care cases (local authority decision to abandon care plan and proceed directly to adoption);
- R v Vale of Glamorgan C.C. ex parte J  EWCA Civ 593: Education law (Transport to school/Bullying/Racial Harassment);
- Scheeres v Scheeres (1999) 1 FLR 241, CA: Matrimonial finance (Property Transfer/Periodical Payments);
- Re S (Minors)  1 FLR 623, CA: Inherent Jurisdiction (Abduction/Enforceability in England of Irish Courtresidence order);
- Re Adoption Application (Non-Patrial: Breach of Procedures)  1 FLR 947, CA: (Adoption of Foreign Child - El Salvador);
- Re V (a Minor)  2 FLR 89, CA: (Dispensing agreement in Adoption. Natural mother withdrawing consent);
- Dipper v Dipper  1 FLR 286, CA:(Rights of parties over upbringing of children following one-parent residence order).
Personal, including interestsMarried, 2 children. Music, walking the Pembrokeshire countryside, Glamorgan Cricket Club, MCC Associate Member